Welcome to another episode of MDi TV. Today I will talk you through advanced segments in Google Analytics, explaining what they are and how you can use them to break down your data into smaller segments. Google Analytics already has some standard segments set up that let you view and analyse your traffic data in more detail by looking at segments such as:
- How much traffic came from just mobile devices like the iPhone or iPad to enable to you understand how people interact with your site on a small device.
- How many website visitors were new and how many are returning visitors to help you identify whether brand campaigns and blogs keep people coming back for more.
- How many came from search engines or referral sites to help you determine if your SEO or link building tactics are sending quality traffic.
- Non-bounce visits (viewed more than 1 page) which enables you to assess the quality of your content or landing pages.
- View the data for those that completed a goal to help you just look at the user journey for those who subscribed, registered or filled in the contact form.
My favourite part however is the fact that you can create your own custom segments! This allows you to find out even more information about certain campaigns to see how your marketing efforts are working over time. Some examples of custom segments that I discuss in this episode include measuring brand and non-brand keyword traffic, brand loyal visitors and traffic from various social media sites.
Hope you enjoy the video and if you have any further questions or topics you would like us to discuss in future then send us a tweet @PauleyCreative